Saturday 17 April 2010

A journey within


Walking towards the ornate splendor in stone, one wonders at the meaning of these intricate sculptures. But on a closer and careful look, one vaguely recalls the references to the stories of Mahabharta and Ramayana. And gradually the narratives of the mythological stories told at bed time, come to life.

The bells begin to ring, and one is reminded that the evening prayers or Aarti has begun. It is an auspicious time and I move towards the congregation Hall and remove my shoes to attend the prayer ceremony. The stone below my feet has been worn smooth by innumerous disciples and it is still very warm with their constant touch. After washing my hands and feet in the water from the fresh water spring nearby, I climb the steps to the hall. On reaching the hall, I see others around me in the large colonnade, moving towards the garbhagriha or the centre of the temple.

As one moves towards the garbha griha, the sounds of bells becomes clearer and louder, the other sounds begin to drown and the natural light dims to an almost dark. One almost forgets the presence of so many others, as one concentrates on the sacred flame or “Aarti” being offered by the priest. Feeling the warmth of the flame and the strong, familiar and comforting smell of incense, one starts the journey around the GarbhaGriha or the womb of the temple. The space is now narrow, tight and dark but without guidance one starts moving in the direction, the darkness makes one feel the wall as one slowly takes the circumambulatory path. The stone is smooth to touch, but cold. The path is crowded, but one feels surprisingly distant and alone. And this passage ends with the sight of the sacred flame again. Like a journey within and back, one suddenly finds oneself back amongst the other disciples. The sight has adjusted itself and now one begins to see others around. The Sanskrit chants recited by the Priest have no meaning to me but their rhythmic sounds and vibrations have a meditative effect. I close my eyes and contemplate. The sublime experience of this religious ritual undoubtedly reinforces one’s existence in the world. Bowing my head in respect, I move out with a new light inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment