Saturday 17 April 2010

Beyond vision















While I took my friend to an ISKON temple at Soho, Oxford Street, I was taken on a blindfold journey to a place of her choice. And this is how it goes…

On a lovely bright sunny Saturday afternoon, I was blindfolded by Helen outside a stone archway. On entering it, I still felt like I was still in the open, and there was a sudden shrill by an assumingly young crowd that brisked past me. The feeling of being self-conscious never occurred to me, since I was going second, I was absolutely aware that the embarrassment was all Helens. I entrusted her to be my eyes as she guided me through. The ambience of the place suddenly turned a little cold and I could hear the echo of my footsteps, we crossed something of a dungeon / tunnel which ended into a place with a familiar smell of coffee. The ‘cafĂ©’ didn’t seem too busy; the sounds were faint and distant. We kept moving, and I was guided by Helen holding my elbow. I held on to the wall as she left to take some pictures, the wall was smooth to touch and uneven in texture and slowly moved my hands and felt curved flutings of the columns. We moved on and reached the steps, I kicked and dragged my foot up to feel the steps and made my way up slowly. I think we reached a big Hall as the hall echoed with the sounds of the visitors. One of them exclaimed how beautiful it was, and for the first time I felt the frustration of not being able to see. We traced back our steps and my blindfold was removed, and the bright sun, hurt and blinded!

p.s. The identity of the place is still shrouded in mystery …




No comments:

Post a Comment